Software Engineer (Open source, functional)
— Multi-product environment
- Lots of autonomy, choose your own tech stack!
- Remote working, flexible benefits scheme & minimum 12% bonus.
- Constant growth & progression, loads of events/conferences.
A progressive, technology-first business in Bristol are looking for a number of Software Engineers as they go through a rapid period of growth due to continued success and recent acquisitions. With 5 UK offices and a £700m+ annual turnover, the business values autonomy in their technology division and were voted as one of the top 20 companies to work for in the Sunday Times.
What skills you'll need
- Proven experience with at least one open source/functional language. The preference would be NodeJS, Java or Scala/Clojure.
- Understanding of cloud technology; specifically AWS or Google but open to other platforms as well.
- Knowledge of deployment automation, CI/CD & containerisation.
- Awareness of open-source databases like PostgreSQL and MongoDB (or similar).
- Extensive exposure to an Agile/Scrum environment is essential.
- Any awareness of the following would be beneficial: Play, Kafka, Akka, TypeScript, React Native, Cypress, Swift, RabbitMQ, Kubernetes.
The business are considering both Full-Stack and Back-End Engineers, so please do apply either way!
What you'll be doing
You will work in a cross-functional Scrum team with a focus on developing new & on-going products which will impact over a million people across the UK. This involves owning the product from inception, advocating continuous improvement and building new features with scalability and resilience in mind. The role involves building & scaling distributed systems and ensuring that the micro-service platforms are written in the most suitable language for each product (all connected on an event stream using Kafka) so working autonomously is important. You’ll also be covering things like backlogs, data migrations and other more general development projects, constantly using progressive technology with scope to integrate emerging tech into their wider stack.
What you'll get in return for your talents
Where do I even start? They offer a range of benefits including flexible/remote working, 26 days holiday, plenty of social events and meet-ups, an annual training budget, free breakfast, fruit & drinks, a minimum of 12% bonus, a 4% flexible benefit scheme (including phones, laptops, TVs and bikes) and a great pension. Importantly the working environment they have created is second to none. The offices themselves are fantastic and you’ll also be working with some great people who value the company and what they believe in. This company has achieved and is continuing to achieve some great things.
Want to join the team? Send your CV to Joe or give us a call now!