Managing Director / COO
— Watertight Marketing - 3 month Contract to Perm
- Managing Director / COO wanted for next phase of growth.
- Including launch of SaaS product in the marketing space.
- All the opportunity of a start-up with all the credibility of an established business.
Background to Watertight Marketing
Established in 2008, Watertight Marketing has grown from a simple time-for-money consultancy into growing community of thousands of experts and peers using library of thinking tools – designed and refined over more than a decade and across 2000+ organisations. The business is headed by founder, Bryony Thomas, in Bristol.
Bryony is the author of the best-selling Watertight Marketing book which acts as the entry point into a rich library of resources, and a network of deep expertise. This is used to support scaling seven-figure businesses to enable world-class marketing performance that underpins healthy sales flow. The tools, skills, and processes are transferred into an organisation so that it is truly owned by them the end of a transformation programme
A varied hands-on role that give you all the challenge and opportunity of a start-up with the credibility and brand of an established business.
Initially, the role will be offered on a 3 month contract, leading to permanent for the right person.
The business has now embarked on a period of transformation that will see the Watertight Marketing infrastructure embedded within a SaaS product, providing the opportunity for businesses to own and control their own journey, with the support of a Watertight Marketing Certified Practitioner. Selling via an extensive partnership platform and directly, the ambition is to take the business global at a rapid pace.
To achieve this ambition Watertight Marketing is seeking a Managing Director. This individual will work closely and complement Bryony. Bryony offers an incredible talent for ideation, sales and marketing, and is an established and in-demand spokesperson for press and events. The MD will take this opportunity and turn it into a commercial success, ensuring the business is managed robustly and to a high standard.
Watertight Marketing is a proven process, an established and credible brand, and has healthy sales flow. As we enter into this new phase it brings the feeling of a start-up, with a 5-year head start in proof-of-concept, audience and brand building.
All of the fun, challenge and opportunity of a start-up, but the credibility of an established business.
What you’ll be doing
Within the initial 3 month contract, you'll be spending time with Bryony, advancing the business model and plan, getting to grips with the commercial delivery, and developing a close working relationship. Once permanent you’ll find this is a wide-reaching role that will take accountability for almost all business matters that sit outside of product development, sales and marketing.
This isn’t a role for a CEO that wants to be the face of the company, on a stage and out selling. We’re seeking somebody to be the other side of that coin. This role calls for someone who is all about the detail, financially astute, focused on commercial success and that will enjoy scaling a business whilst tackling the challenges will naturally arise within a high growth business model.
Operations & Finance
- Ownership and management of all internal operations and processes.
- Ownership of P&L.
- Ownership of businesses finances (supported by external FD).
- Ownership of all legal and compliance matters.
- MI Reporting
- Scoping and recruitment of the team.
- Ownership of all people matters (HR, wellbeing, culture, reviews, development plans etc.)
- Recruitment of Watertight Marketing certified practitioners.
Customer Success and Partner Management
- Development of commercial models and agreements (licensing, JVs, partner types etc.)
- Ownership of partner relationship success and enhancement.
- Ensuring appropriate legal agreements for IP usage by third parties.
Technology / Product Development
- Ownership of the SaaS product delivery and its ongoing development .
- Priortising and commercialising product development and pricing models.
- Managing external development team.
- Managing internal project manager.
- Reporting product / customer MI and analysis.
What experience will set you up for success?
- You’ll have led a business with a seven-figure budget to commercial success.
- A proven track record of recruiting and managing people across multiple business functions.
- Experience of working within either a SaaS environment or a marketing / product development agency.
- A proven understanding of the SME market with a £5m – £20 million t/o.
- Comfortable working with senior leaders and decision makers.
- An empathetic, human-centred approach with strong values and grounded.
- You’ll understand the personalities and characteristics that help create a winning team with a family feel.
- An innate understanding that being in start-up calls for all of us to roll our sleeves up.
And if you have any of the following it would be lovely
- Investment and exit management.
- Commercialisation of predictive analytic, data and insight, and digital products.
- An understanding of learning design and training.
What you’ll get in return for your talents and commitment
This is a big challenge, here’s what you’ll get in return…
Whilst we are an established business, we have invested deeply in the creation of intellectual property assets, and are now investing heavily into our growth. The contract salary on offer is £60k (pro-rata), as the business model is realised in the coming months we have every intention to increase the base salary in line with market rate, along with an equity package that we hope will provide a seven-figure sum as part of our exit strategy.
How to apply
All CVs and applications will be directed to Nick Dean at ADLIB.
Who's managing this role?
You might like...
You might like...
— Google Analytics, SEO/PPC & SocialLocation:Wiltshire + flexible workingSalary:Up to £30k DOE
— Rare Part Time OpportunityLocation:Bath/ remoteSalary:£35-40k (pro rata)
— NeighbourlyLocation:Bristol plus flexible workingSalary:Up to £80k + benefits