On Furlough? Resources for Data Talent
Temporary layoffs are an unfortunate reality for many of our clients and candidates at this time.
It’s not a reflection on ‘how well one does as a business’ or ‘how good one is at their job as an individual’, it’s the harsh reality of this situation we are in as the result of an economic downturn. Furlough doesn’t discriminate. But what to do during this time?
Here, we’ve collected a whole bunch of online resources and courses recommended by the experts, as well as our existing internal guides that might take the interest of data-savvy people and those looking to upskill within this sector.
Make the best of your time by expanding on what you love and teaching yourself something. Some resources here that might be useful.
- Khana Academy
- TechTalent Academy’s Fundamentals courses
- Learn SQL on CodeAcademy
- Power BI or Tableau for the Data Visualization side.
- Data Science (Artificial Intelligence: Cloud and Edge Implementations) course – the University of Oxford
- PyData Bristol
- Advanced Google Analytics
You can also take a look at our Data Employment guides, to figure out skill sets in demand, key trends, salary benchmarks and more.
- Data Science Employment Guide
- Marketing & Insight Employment Guide
- Data Engineering Employment Guide
- Digital Analytics Employment Guide
Some blogs that we’ve been told are useful, here.
- The cold start problem: how to build your machine learning portfolio
- What Does an Ideal Data Scientist’s Profile Look Like?
- Amazon’s own ‘Machine Learning University’ now available to all developers
- How will you be recruited as a Data Scientist? A brief analysis of my LinkedIn Messages
- How to land a Data Scientist job at your dream company — My journey to Airbnb
- This is why anyone can learn Machine Learning
- Advice For New and Junior Data Scientists
- How to Data Science without a Degree
- Ultimate List of Youtube Channels For Deep Learning and Computer Vision
- How To Learn Data Science If You’re Broke
- The ADLIB Blog – featuring thought-leaders, careers, tips & advice
Listen and Watch
Learn new things and multi-task at the same time. Here, a collection of some data-focused podcasts and webinars to keep you educated and entertained during your furlough time.
- Big Data Podcasts
- Data Science Podcasts
- AI & Machine Learning Podcasts
- Analytics, Data Science and Machine Learning Webinars
Join Online Meetups & Data Communities
Communities and meetups are a great way of learning new skills, connecting with other data professionals and finding out more about where our industry is going next.
- Data Science Meetups
- Digital Analytics Meetups
- Data Engineering Meetups
- Top 10 LinkedIn Groups for Data Science Professionals
- ADLIB’s meetup – ‘Head In The Cloud’ 😉
We hope you find something useful in this blog to pass on. If you have any resources to add we’d love to hear from you.