Data Engineering jobs and careers
As the use of data in business gets more and more prevalent, the ability to quickly and effectively produce data algorithms that can analyse large complex datasets is crucial. In order to do this, the right data infrastructure needs to be in place.
Why consider a career as a Data Engineer?
Data Engineers build databases, data warehouses and data lakes to service the needs of the Data Analysts and Data Scientists in their businesses. This area is fast growing and Data Engineers are in massive demand as so many companies race to unlock the value in their data.
Typical role titles include
Big Data Engineer
Business Intelligence Developer
Business Intelligence Engineer
Big Data Developer
Data factory Developer
Data Availability Engineer
Data Science Engineer
Big Data Software Engineer
Data Warehouse Engineer
SQL Server Engineer
Data Infrastructure Engineer
Data Infrastructure Programmer
Data Infrastructure Developer
Data Analytics Engineer
Big Data Architect
Big Data Specialist
Big Data Lead
Head of Big Data
Career progression example
Junior Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineer
Lead Data Engineer
Head of Data Engineering
At an entry level, junior / graduate Data Engineering professionals on average will be earning between £30k-£35k. At the mid-level you’d be looking to earn £50k-£60k and seniors would be looking to earn £70k+.
Is it right for me? The skills it takes...
Programming skills: Java | Python | Golang | Cython | Software Design - A background in APIs e.g. web APIs and static/dynamic libraries | ML Libraries - e.g. TensorFlow, CNTK, MLib, Spark, Kafka, Kinesis and Redshift.
What qualifications does it take?
A BSc, Masters (MSc) or Doctorate (PhD) in a maths, physics, statistics, artificial intelligence (AI), software engineering, engineering or computer science field with technical skills in programming. In addition, demonstrable experience working with large data sets.
Our Data recruitment team
Our latest Data jobsSearch all jobs
— Leading Financial Services BusinessLocation:RemoteType:Salary:0Work on a large scale Azure migration project. Build dimensional models. 6 month initial contract - inside IR35. My client is looking for 2 Data Engineers with excellent Microsoft Azure experience for a large scale Azure data migration. What you'll be doing You will be assisting with design, development and implementation of a central data model for the Azure data platform. The team have built an Azure Data Lake and have the full Azure set up, i.e. Data factory, SQL Datawarehouse etc. This is part of the central BI function within this leading Financial Services firm. They have a large merger coming up which is the reason behind this data migration project. What experience you'll need Strong experience with Azure inc Data Lake Store, SQL Data Warehouse & Data Factory. Insurance or Financial Services experience Strong ETL experience Dimensional modelling experience Good communication and team working skills What you'll get in return for your experience Up to £550 a day inside IR35 fully remote What's next? Please get in touch with Alex with an up to date CV today. Don't hesitate to email/call to discuss the job in further detail.
Data case studies
Alistair Rogers, Data Scientist
- Alistair is an experienced Data Scientist with working with clients across government, healthcare and banking sectors.
- While successfully working in London as a Data Scientist for one of the Big Four professional service companies, he was planning to move to Bristol and approached us to get an understanding of the local market, especially opportunities and skills in demand within Data in the South West well ahead of the move.
- We advised on opportunities and businesses in and around Bristol as well as in-demand skill sets so he could gather relevant exposure in advance.
- Once ready to make the move, we were able to match Alistair perfectly with an open opportunity. Equipping him with tips and advice, we guided him through the interview process and negotiated the salary that was in line with his expectations. Alistair started as a Data Scientist with OnCorps, a start-up FinTech firm.
"Alex and ADLIB were fantastic to work with and absolutely made the daunting experience of finding a job in a new city a lot easier! They take the time to understand the fields that they are recruiting for and even go to developer meetups to learn more about the areas that they recruit in. Would definitely recommend working with Alex and ADLIB."
Alistair Rogers, Data Scientist
Establishing a Data Science function
- LV= are one of the UK’s largest personal insurers who announced earlier this year that they were partnering with the University of Bristol to establish a team of Data Scientists and Engineers with the aim of making advancements in the field of Data Science by sharing knowledge, skills and opportunities.
- We initially worked with Venura as a candidate, finding him the role at LV=. He soon needed another two sets of hands, planning on growing his team to 3.
- To help him with this, we worked with him to truly understand his style of working and management, gathering a detailed brief that outlined the ideal candidates.
- By tapping into existing candidate pools and relationships, we were able to suggest a range of suitable candidates with a wide range of experience and that had the vital mix of technical and soft skills needed, to be working alongside University of Bristol as a team.
- This resulted in Venura/ LV= making two great Data Engineer hires.
“From finding me my current role to helping place two fantastic hires, ADLIB has been a pivotal role in the development of our team here at Bristol. The guys are easy to work with, friendly and most importantly inspire trust. I look forward to working with them in the future.”
Dr. Venura Perera, Data Science Manager at LV=