MI Analyst jobs and careers
MI Analysts generally sit in larger businesses and their role is to provide management with information about the business, otherwise known as KPIs, key performance indicators, metrics, analytics etc. This information is then used by management to make decisions on the resource, time, projects, budgets etc.
Why consider a career as an MI Analyst?
Companies need to be able to make evidence-based decisions so that they do not lose their competitive edges to those companies that do. As an MI Analyst, you can expect to have your analytical mindset put to very good use.
Typical role titles include
Management Information Analyst
Senior MI Analyst
Senior Management Information Analyst
Lead MI Analyst
Lead Management Information Analyst
Management Information Manager
Business Intelligence Analyst
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst
Senior BI Analyst
Junior Business Intelligence Analyst
Junior BI Analyst
Senior Data Analyst
Junior Data Analyst
Career progression example
Junior MI Analyst
Senior MI Analyst
Lead MI Analyst
Head of MI
At an entry level, junior / graduate MI Analysts on average will be earning between £18k-£25k. At the mid-level you’d be looking to earn £25k-£30k and seniors BI Analysts would be looking to earn £40k+.
Contractor rates for Senior MI Analysts would be from £250 - £300 p/day whilst mid-level MI Analysts can expect to earn between £200 - £250 p/day, and rates for Junior MI Analysts would be £150 - £200 p/day.
Is it right for me? The skills it takes...
The skills needed can be split into 3 categories; programming skills, critical thinking skills and data analysis skills.
Programming skills: SQL | Reporting | ETL.
Critical thinking skills: Analysing | Applying Standards | Information Seeking | Logical Reasoning | Predicting | Transforming Knowledge.
Data analysis skills: Learning a scripting and statistical language | Reporting - skilled in reporting and data visualisation software, with strong presentation skills | An Analytical and Creative Mind | Advanced Microsoft Excel | Experience with SQL (Structured Query Language) programming/
What qualifications does it take?
Generally, MI Analysts will not have degrees. But if they do they can come from any area, as it is the analytical mindset and ability to use advanced features in Excel or learn SQL that would make a successful MI Analyst.
Our Data recruitment team
Our latest Data jobsSearch all jobs
— Leading Financial Services BusinessLocation:RemoteType:Salary:0Work on a large scale Azure migration project. Build dimensional models. 6 month initial contract - inside IR35. My client is looking for 2 Data Engineers with excellent Microsoft Azure experience for a large scale Azure data migration. What you'll be doing You will be assisting with design, development and implementation of a central data model for the Azure data platform. The team have built an Azure Data Lake and have the full Azure set up, i.e. Data factory, SQL Datawarehouse etc. This is part of the central BI function within this leading Financial Services firm. They have a large merger coming up which is the reason behind this data migration project. What experience you'll need Strong experience with Azure inc Data Lake Store, SQL Data Warehouse & Data Factory. Insurance or Financial Services experience Strong ETL experience Dimensional modelling experience Good communication and team working skills What you'll get in return for your experience Up to £550 a day inside IR35 fully remote What's next? Please get in touch with Alex with an up to date CV today. Don't hesitate to email/call to discuss the job in further detail.
— Green Tech BusinessLocation:WiltshireType:Salary:Up to £60kAward-winning sustainability business. Work with modern cloud infrastructure. Flexible-working, forward-thinking & modern approach to BI & development. A Business Intelligence Lead is needed to join an award-winning tech for good business in Wiltshire. They’re already considered market leaders in ethical business and are showing no signs of slowing down. What you’ll be doing You will lead on a broad mixture of data focussed solutions that are taken on by the team. This will include; integrations of data between internal and third-party systems, migrations, development of new databases and solutions, streamlining processes, reporting, and more. You will manage the Data Team and prioritise their workload and deliverables. What skills you’ll need Minimum of 5 years’ experience in BI/Data Development End-to-end BI development experience including design/architecture SQL Server Experience with data visualisation tools preferred Experience with cloud platforms (Azure, AWS, GCP or similar) preferred Agile/similar methodology experience What you’ll get in return for your skills A base salary of up to £60K plus a competitive benefits package which includes; 25 days annual leave with the option to buy more, company bonus, pension matched up to 7.5%, flexible working, travel & green travel allowances. What’s next? Please get in touch with Alex with an up-to-date CV today, don’t hesitate to email/call to discuss the finer details.
Data case studies
Alistair Rogers, Data Scientist
- Alistair is an experienced Data Scientist with working with clients across government, healthcare and banking sectors.
- While successfully working in London as a Data Scientist for one of the Big Four professional service companies, he was planning to move to Bristol and approached us to get an understanding of the local market, especially opportunities and skills in demand within Data in the South West well ahead of the move.
- We advised on opportunities and businesses in and around Bristol as well as in-demand skill sets so he could gather relevant exposure in advance.
- Once ready to make the move, we were able to match Alistair perfectly with an open opportunity. Equipping him with tips and advice, we guided him through the interview process and negotiated the salary that was in line with his expectations. Alistair started as a Data Scientist with OnCorps, a start-up FinTech firm.
"Alex and ADLIB were fantastic to work with and absolutely made the daunting experience of finding a job in a new city a lot easier! They take the time to understand the fields that they are recruiting for and even go to developer meetups to learn more about the areas that they recruit in. Would definitely recommend working with Alex and ADLIB."
Alistair Rogers, Data Scientist
Establishing a Data Science function
- LV= are one of the UK’s largest personal insurers who announced earlier this year that they were partnering with the University of Bristol to establish a team of Data Scientists and Engineers with the aim of making advancements in the field of Data Science by sharing knowledge, skills and opportunities.
- We initially worked with Venura as a candidate, finding him the role at LV=. He soon needed another two sets of hands, planning on growing his team to 3.
- To help him with this, we worked with him to truly understand his style of working and management, gathering a detailed brief that outlined the ideal candidates.
- By tapping into existing candidate pools and relationships, we were able to suggest a range of suitable candidates with a wide range of experience and that had the vital mix of technical and soft skills needed, to be working alongside University of Bristol as a team.
- This resulted in Venura/ LV= making two great Data Engineer hires.
“From finding me my current role to helping place two fantastic hires, ADLIB has been a pivotal role in the development of our team here at Bristol. The guys are easy to work with, friendly and most importantly inspire trust. I look forward to working with them in the future.”
Dr. Venura Perera, Data Science Manager at LV=