Mobile (iOS, Android) Developer jobs and careers
As an iOS or Android Software Developer, you will write code for applications specifically for use on mobile devices. You will pay special attention to the compatibility of the applications to ensure that they are supported and fully functional and ultimately, it is your responsibility to form interfaces that consistently improve the user experience.
Why consider a career as a Mobile (iOS/Android) Developer?
As a professional Mobile Developer, you can work directly for one company or for an agency. Entering the mobile application development field means that you are setting yourself up for success now and further down the line. As technology inevitably continues to modernise, your role will account for a high percentage of usage in the industry - due to mobile and tablet devices accounting for the majority of internet usage.
Android Development: Your core experience will involve using Java, Android SDK, RESTful API’s, Kotlin, Android UI design principles, patterns and best practices. Generally, you’ll have live apps within the Play store and a natural interest in picking up the latest technologies and development techniques.
You'll be unit testing and proficient with GIT version control. You’ll be translating designs and wireframes into high-quality interfaces and devising the architecture and best approach for Android app development.
You’ll be designing, building and maintaining high performance, reusable and reliable Java code and identifying and fixing bottlenecks, bugs and reviewing any crashes. In addition, you’ll be called upon to attend client meetings and give regular updates on progress and also any industry events.
iOS Development: You’ll be interacting with teams including product developers, electronics engineers, embedded software engineers and Cloud developers to ensure connected solutions are functional, secure and easy to use.
If experienced, you'll have apps to show from commercial native iOS app development using Objective-C or Swift. You will be a user of TDD / BDD development methodologies and have some experience of writing automated unit and UI tests (e.g. Catch, XCTest & Calabash). You'll be familiar with Atlassian tools including JIRA, Bitbucket & Bamboo and have experience/awareness of iOS build tools (e.g., xcodebuild, fastlane & CocoaPods).
Typical role titles include
Mobile Application Developer
Career progression example
Lead iOS Developer
Lead Android Developer
Head of Mobile App Development
At an entry level, mobile iOS or Android Developer learning professionals on average will be earning between £20k-£30k. At the mid-level you’d be looking to earn £30-£45k and seniors would be looking to earn £45k+.
Is it right for me? The skills it takes…
Popular skills required for these roles include:
IOS | Swift | Android | Kotlin | Java | Objective-C | Xcode | Core Data | Cocoapods | Hockey | Fastlane
3rd party SDK’s | TDD, Xamarin, RxJava.
What qualifications does it take?
There are many courses you can take in mobile development and a qualification/degree in computer science or technical discipline can help with some applications. Most businesses will prefer to see a portfolio of apps available to download in the App Store or on Google Play.
Our Technology recruitment team
Our latest Technology jobsSearch all jobs
Technology case studies
Employer of choice for Developers
- SCISYS are a leading an international software and solutions company.
- Enjoying a period of high growth SCISYS were looking to expand their technology team at pace and required an agency that would not only find the right talent, but also support the development of their employer brand.
- To achieve this, we introduced SCISYS to our tech community partners, helping them to raise their profile in the developer community, placing them solidly on the map as an employer of choice for developers and wider technology people.
- Through our consultative approach, we provided market guidance and knowledge, along with a comprehensive resourcing campaign that resulted in the successful hire of several hard to fill vacancies, from Developers to Solution Architects.
“ADLIB have been a huge help throughout a very busy year of growth here at SCISYS. Not only have they supported with live requirements, they have also provided valuable market information throughout the year which has in turn supported with our hiring decisions and future growth plans. We look forward to a continued partnership throughout 2019.”
Mollie Hatton, Recruitment Manager, at SCISYS
Expanding their team of Developers at pace
- Immersive Labs help reduce the risk of attacks via a class leading cyber-learning environment.
- With more and more companies hunting out similar skill sets, a major contributor to the success of the campaign was them being a business with a culture for R&D, cutting edge technology, highly competitive salaries & benefits and the opportunity to be part of a tech-first and people focused culture.
"ADLIB's comprehensive understanding of the local tech market and the challenges faced by quickly growing start-ups has been significant in helping us grow over the last two years"
Greg Craft, Talent Director at Immersive Labs