Head of Marketing, Digital & eCommerce
Agency & In-house MarketingView profile
The purpose of our initiative and series “True Diversity” is to feature, collate and showcase the breadth of initiatives and views that are all on a mission to work towards True Diversity and Inclusion.
Briony: Diversity and Inclusion are a priority for a variety of reasons from our perspective at Rocketmakers. We are always working to create an inclusive and supportive space where everyone can contribute and where our outputs reflect a wide diversity of backgrounds, thought processes, perspectives and much more. We believe that effective diversity and inclusion practices can help enable a:
Briony: Rocketmakers has recently launched a women’s network called Electra in partnership with Clockwise, Engine Shed, Natwest, TechSPARK. The network will meet 5x per year to connect, celebrate and overcome challenges together. This is an initiative which ultimately aims to equip and empower women from across Bristol and Bath to take on new opportunities and to increase representation across positions of influence and leadership in the region.
Briony: Electra has been created specifically for female entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs (people who are entrepreneurial inside larger organisations). If you fit this description, please complete this quick Expression of Interest form and Briony will be in touch with information about the next event: https://forms.gle/xdvePj3ToYkXHWNX9
Briony: As software developers, we think about this a lot – particularly our responsibility to design and build websites and apps that reflect the needs and perspectives of all relevant users. We also work to create a workplace where all crew members can bring their whole selves to work. The ultimate impact of a lack of D&I, are development of software that can’t be used, negative impacts on our recruitment, and eventually perhaps even the closure of the business. On the flip side, we’ve been proud to win various workplace culture awards which have no doubt helped with recruitment and business development, and we have some brilliant crew retention too.
Briony: There are lots of things that we do, here is a quick list of examples:
● Leadership: As part of our operating system, we have a dedicated ambassador in our diversity and inclusion seat
● Accreditations: We are a member of the Tech Talent Charter and we are registered with Disability Confident
● Recruitment: We include a statement in all our job postings with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We conduct analyses of our job description language and requirements to ensure they are inclusive and equitable. We conduct anonymous or “blind” reviews of applications or resumes without attaching names or identifiable characteristics
● Outreach: We invest in outreach activities such as an annual programme of work experience and events
● Project selection: We have ethical project selection criteria to encourage crew members to actively consider and engage in decisions regarding who we work with.
● Development: Whole crew training initiatives to highlight D&I.