Reporting jobs and careers
Reporting Analysts generally sit in larger businesses and their role is to provide management with information about the business, otherwise known as KPIs, key performance indicators, metrics, analytics etc. This information is then used by management to make decisions on the resource, time, projects, budgets etc.
Why consider a career as a Reporting Analyst?
If you enjoy contributing to organisational improvement by gathering, analysing and communicating data, there are plenty of opportunities for career progression.
Typical role titles include
Senior Reporting Analyst
Lead Reporting Analyst
Management Information Analyst
Senior MI Analyst
Senior Management Information Analyst
Lead MI Analyst
Lead Management Information Analyst
Management Information Manager
Business Intelligence Analyst
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst
Senior BI Analyst
Junior Business Intelligence Analyst
Junior BI Analyst
Senior Data Analyst
Junior Data Analyst
Career progression example
Junior Reporting Analyst
Senior Reporting Analyst
Lead Reporting Analyst
Head of Reporting
At an entry level, junior / graduate Reporting Analysts on average will be earning between £18k-£25k. At the mid-level, you’d be looking to earn £25k-£30k and seniors Reporting Analysts would be looking to earn £40k+.
Contractor rates for Senior Reporting Analysts would be from £250-£300 p/day whilst mid-level Reporting Analysts can expect to earn between £200-£250 p/day, and rates for Junior Reporting Analysts would be £150-£200 p/day.
Is it right for me? The skills it takes...
The skills needed can be split into 3 categories; programming skills, critical thinking skills and data analysis skills.
Programming skills: SQL | Reporting | ETL.
Critical thinking skills: Analysing | Applying Standards | Information Seeking | Logical Reasoning | Predicting | Transforming Knowledge.
Data analysis skills: Learning a scripting and statistical language | Reporting - skilled in reporting and data visualisation software, with strong presentation skills | An analytical and creative mind | Advanced Microsoft Excel | Experience with SQL (Structured Query Language) programming.
What qualifications does it take?
Generally, Reporting Analysts will not have degrees. But if they do they can come from any area, as it is the analytical mindset and ability to use advanced features in Excel or learn SQL that would make a successful Reporting Analyst.
Our Data recruitment team
Our latest Data jobsSearch all jobs
— SAAS ProviderLocation:BathType:Salary:Up to £40KOwn BI for a global SaaS provider Design and build a variety of data warehouse solutions for customers Progress reporting and data standards by implementing new technologies This firm requires a BI Developer to develop data warehouse solutions, support analytics and improve the availability of quality-assured data to internal and external customers. What you'll be doing As the ETL Developer, you will work with internal and external customers to develop, analyse and progress BI. You'll build and maintain warehouse solutions to enable effective data management, data migration and analytics. This will require a combination of on-premise warehouse development and BI reporting. What you'll need to apply Minimum 3 years’ experience as an ETL/BI Developer Solid ETL experience e.g. SSIS, Talend, Pentaho Data modelling experience Knowledge of BI visualisation tools e.g. Power BI, Tableau Cloud experience preferred What you'll get in return for your experience A great salary of up to £40,000 plus benefits including the opportunity to implement and shape their modern BI suite. What's next Please get in touch with Scott with an up-to-date CV today. Don't hesitate to email/call to discuss the finer details.
— Innovative and globally leading technology company.Location:MalmesburyType:Salary:£35,000 to £40,000Define a new role within the established team and help them advance. Excellent opportunity to gain exposure in a global setting and to new skills. Work across a range of data gaining further exposure in this space. What you’ll be doing:You will work in the Product team, specifically in the registrations section, to help develop insight into the customer journey and process improvement. Although there is a specific focus on hands-on technical work you will also work closely with the head of the team to develop a strategy moving forwards. You will also work with a range of stakeholders within the business to support them on the customer registrations.What experience you’ll need to apply: At least 1 years' experience of data analysis or insight analysis in a commercial setting Solid experience of Google or Adobe Analytics Excellent MS Excel skills Excellent communication skills Data Visualisation and dashboard building skills (Power BI / Tableau / Qlikview / QlikSense) It would also be helpful if you had exposure to Alteryx, Looker and SQL. It is important to highlight that not all of the above skills will be essential, but in some cases are preferable.What you’ll get in return for your experience: Salary would be up to £40,000 depending on experience You will be a key individual within the team with a lot of room to progress. You will help improve the strategic focus of a hugely successful company. You will get a very competitive benefits package. An excellent opportunity for a junior candidate to develop their career. What Next:Please get in touch with Kye Williams with an up to date CV today. Don’t hesitate to call / email to discuss in more detail.
Data case studies
Alistair Rogers, Data Scientist
- Alistair is an experienced Data Scientist with working with clients across government, healthcare and banking sectors.
- While successfully working in London as a Data Scientist for one of the Big Four professional service companies, he was planning to move to Bristol and approached us to get an understanding of the local market, especially opportunities and skills in demand within Data in the South West well ahead of the move.
- We advised on opportunities and businesses in and around Bristol as well as in-demand skill sets so he could gather relevant exposure in advance.
- Once ready to make the move, we were able to match Alistair perfectly with an open opportunity. Equipping him with tips and advice, we guided him through the interview process and negotiated the salary that was in line with his expectations. Alistair started as a Data Scientist with OnCorps, a start-up FinTech firm.
"Alex and ADLIB were fantastic to work with and absolutely made the daunting experience of finding a job in a new city a lot easier! They take the time to understand the fields that they are recruiting for and even go to developer meetups to learn more about the areas that they recruit in. Would definitely recommend working with Alex and ADLIB."
Alistair Rogers, Data Scientist
Establishing a Data Science function
- LV= are one of the UK’s largest personal insurers who announced earlier this year that they were partnering with the University of Bristol to establish a team of Data Scientists and Engineers with the aim of making advancements in the field of Data Science by sharing knowledge, skills and opportunities.
- We initially worked with Venura as a candidate, finding him the role at LV=. He soon needed another two sets of hands, planning on growing his team to 3.
- To help him with this, we worked with him to truly understand his style of working and management, gathering a detailed brief that outlined the ideal candidates.
- By tapping into existing candidate pools and relationships, we were able to suggest a range of suitable candidates with a wide range of experience and that had the vital mix of technical and soft skills needed, to be working alongside University of Bristol as a team.
- This resulted in Venura/ LV= making two great Data Engineer hires.
“From finding me my current role to helping place two fantastic hires, ADLIB has been a pivotal role in the development of our team here at Bristol. The guys are easy to work with, friendly and most importantly inspire trust. I look forward to working with them in the future.”
Dr. Venura Perera, Data Science Manager at LV=